Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Movie Romances: Thuper Duper Unlikely


Having recently watched the movie "Thor" on the big screen, I found myself contemplating several of the same things I think about whenever I witness something "epic", be it a blockbuster film obviously attempting to 'wow' the lowest common denominator, a heart-wrenching passage from a poem read out by a passionate, well-loved public figure, or an awe-inspiring work of art.

While I could have looked at the cinematic quality, laughed at the subtle nuances in the dialogue and marveled at the extensive action scenes, I found myself, like all other socially-awkward nerds, closely examining the relationship between Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth) and Jane (the female lead, played by Natalie Portman).


It took me almost no time to get over the unlikelihood of their relationship, because I was accustomed to movie romances initially making no sense. However, the more I thought about it, the more it troubled me. Would Jane have fallen for Thor so unquestioningly if he was 'just' a delusional homeless man, rather than an attractive, in-shape, blond delusional homeless man? Are we, as a society, shallow enough to so completely accept a love (that is apparently for the ages) that is based primarily on physical beauty? Is it true that only beautiful people fall in love?

If so, me and my mediocre looks are seriously fucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment