Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Legalizing Fabulous


New York State recently legalized gay marriage. For most heterosexuals, this isn't a big deal. I, along with everyone else who wasn't barred from marriage before, merely joined in the pride festivities for the fun they promised.

But sitting in Central Park, watching an obviously gay man wearing a wedding ring as he read his paper with a contended sigh, I realized how wonderful the world is slowly becoming. We are gradually moving towards equality. Gay people being denied basic civil rights was never the issue: it was differentiating among happy, contributing members of society based on something as insignificant as the gender to which they were attracted.

Senator Mark Grisanti, a catholic republican, made the following speech when he voted to allow same-sex marriage, and it gives me hope in people and their ability for understanding and compassion despite their beliefs:


Even though I am not an American Citizen, I feel truly happy for the LGBTQ community in this country, as a human being. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said already, but when an entire section of New York's population is no longer denied happiness (arguably, since I think marriage is an outdated concept, at least, I'm not suited for it...), I truly feel the positive vibes in New York City. There is much less tension in the people around me. We are moving, together, towards contentedness. And, after all, isn't that the point of life?

Congratulations, homosexuals! You can now be as miserable as the rest of us. I am truly happy for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment